Ing. Rodolfo Quesada Zumbado
Computer Science and Software Engineer
I am a software engineer that seeks to work always on new technologies, my interests include free and open source software, networking, location and context sensitive information services, data mining, media devices, geographic information systems, open standards, distributed computing and wide data availability.
Most of my experience in the field of computing comes from my keen interest on learning and getting advantage of extensive possibilities that open source and UNIX environments can offer to solve our daily problems. I am always interested on keeping track of the latest trends in IT. My main interest as a software engineer is to gain new experience while solving interesting and challenging problems within a dynamic and stimulating organization, while at the time build a career as an open source specialist.
- Spanish: Native.
- English: Band 8.0 of the International English Language Testing System.
- Test taken on 2011.
- Band 8.0 out of 9.0 maximum.
Softtek Tecnologías de Información, Contractor for HP Networking, CPE/Specials, Research and Development.Technical Leader and Software Developer, February 2010 - Present
Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
- Implementation of custom features requested by major corporative clients (Special Development).
- Error tracking and correction across different architectures and operating systems in embedded networking devices (Current Product Engineering, CPE).
- Worked across all the range of the networking stack in network devices, from low level interrupt driven packet analysis and dispatching, to command line interface and other user interfaces, by implementation of enhancements or maintenance.
- Backend (Proprietary embedded system codebase) to frontend (Web and command line interface) development and refactoring.
- Technical and Team Leader for a team of seven engineers.
- Documented and maintained a repository with all the technical references used by the team.
- Mentoring and training of new members of the team, provided cross-team support to other company areas.
- Supported the Human Resources department by applying technical interviews to local and international candidates.
Secretaría Técnica de Gobierno Digital, Presidency of the Republic of Costa Rica, Internship.Software Development Internship, February 2009 - July 2009
San José, San José, Costa Rica
- Participated in a project to configure, test and deploy a content management system (CMS) that could establish a communication link via Internet between the local governments (city councils) and the general public.
- Worked closely with many public institutions and collaborated with several national-scale projects.
- Participated in the evaluation of several CMS and selected the most adequate one according to the needs and context of local government offices in Costa Rica.
- Prepared a common package that was easy to install, deploy and administrate, and also easy to use by the city council personnel. The deployed system has been presented and approved by the local government of the Escazú county and is currently in production.
- The foundations of the project are now the base of the web presence of city counties of Barva, Santa Bárbara, Santa Ana, Puriscal, Tibás and Mora, as well as Escazú.
RidgeRun Engineering LLC, Board Support Package Team.Embedded Software Engineer, 2006 - 2008
Curridabat, San José, Costa Rica
- Integration of Open Source solutions to deploy embedded applications for consumer electronics devices running on many hardware prototypes, evaluation boards and modules based on System on Chip (SoC) solutions.
- Porting of several available Open Source applications to enable its usage on embedded targets.
- Migration of third party drivers and utilities.
- Development of custom applications that uses specific or constrained graphics, audio and network frameworks.
- Development and design of software-based firmware-residing hardware manufacturing tests.
- Support for hardware manufacturers and designers established in North America and Asia regarding the usage of customized software development kits.
Computer Science Skills
- Programming Languages: C, C++, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Unix shells (bash, sh).
- Version Control Systems: ClearCase, CVS, SVN, git.
- Application Programming Interfaces: GTK+, SDL, OpenGL, SIMD extensions to the x86 architecture (MMX, 3DNow!, SSE) supported in GCC, Expect, DirectFB, GStreamer, cURL, Linux kernel internals, ALSA Userland API.
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, SQL.
- Markup Languages, Semantics and Typesetting: HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS, LaTeX, microformats.
- Operating Systems and Platforms: Several GNU Linux distributions (Arch Linux, Ubuntu, Slackware, a Linux From Scratch personal implementation, RidgeRun SDK for Embedded Devices, and many others), BSD variants (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD), Mac OS X, BeOS, DOS (MS-DOS, FreeDOS), Microsoft Windows (From version 3.1 up to 7), VxWorks, Green Hills Software INTEGRITY.
- Web Frameworks and Technologies: AJAX, LAMP platform for web development (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) also using PostgreSQL instead of MySQL. Joomla!, Drupal, WordPress.
- Applications and Packages: Proficient in several open source applications, such as raster and vector graphics manipulation programs, audio and video tools, and Unix utilities for stream editing.
- "Introducción a las Extensiones Vectoriales de la Arquitectura Intel x86, utilizando C y GCC", (Introduction to the Vector Extensions in the x86 Intel Architecture using C and GCC) Rodolfo Quesada Zumbado, Tiempo Compartido Magazine, Department of Computer Engineering, Costa Rica Institute of Technology, Volume 6, Issue 2, December 2005.